blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bird hides and the use of camoflauge. 10 months 2 weeks ago #3455

• Col Huon
  • Col Huon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi.
I consider myself to be a beginner in the field of birding as I am only very slowly learning more about the birds in my area. With the advent of Winter I am finding it very difficult to get near to the birds, (or even find them for that matter), and I am now wondering if this is the time to utilise my pop up bird hide.
Perhaps I should consider a ghilly suit or something similar.
I am just wondering what you experts think on this topic. (Or do I have it wrong?).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bird hides and the use of camoflauge. 10 months 2 weeks ago #3458

• Rob Solic
  • Thank you received: 30
Hi Col,

I use a ghillie suit regularly, and have done so for a few years now. I am very confident that it has helped improve my photography dramatically, as the birds tend to venture closer then what they would otherwise. We normally look for a spot where there is a good amount of activity, and then sit down quietly and comfortably in wait. That often means spooking the birds initially, however, they tend to return after a few minutes. If there are no signs of activity within the first 15 minutes or so, we then move on and repeat the same process. Our lenses also have camouflage covers, and in particular as the Canon 'white' lenses can probably be seen from the moon. I have not used a "pop up bird hide:", although a few friends of mine have one and they use it to great effect also.

Regards,
Rob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Graham Gall

Bird hides and the use of camoflauge. 10 months 2 weeks ago #3460

• Col Huon
  • Col Huon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question Rob. I have often wondered if it is movement rather than identifying us as a threat that causes birds and animals to take off or maintain a distance. I know that I react almost instantly to movement when looking for wildlife and identify what it is after getting a better look.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.