blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Nikon Z 8 10 months 3 weeks ago #3452

• Peter Roodhouse
  • Peter Roodhouse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have just purchased a new Z8 camera and looking for information about the best settings to use for bird photography.
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Nikon Z 8 10 months 2 weeks ago #3453

• Simon Pelling
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 261
Peter

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about Nikon camera details. However a quick search in Youtube brought up this video on how to set up autofocus in the Z8 and Z9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wxo10LQZUc&ab_channel=StevePerry.

I think the Z8 and Z9 have similar basic features so you can probably also get useful information by searching for the Z9 and bird photography.

Thom Hogan (bythom.com) is a longstanding Nikon user and blogger and he publishes detailed user guides on Nikon cameras. He recently published his comprehensive guide for the Z8 here: https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/the-z8-book.html (cost US$ 50). His blog also includes various commentary on the Z8 and Z9.

Closer to home, Duade Paton has some useful YouTube videos on bird and wildlife photography, including tips on bird photography, and though he mainly seems to use Canon he recently used the Z8 on an outing and may have some useful observations.

Hope this helps get you started.

Simon

Nikon Z 8 10 months 2 weeks ago #3454

• Liz Bamber
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I recently swapped out my D500 for a Z8 and am loving it. I can highly recommend Steve Perry's ebooks, his YT videos and his forums on his web site.

Liz

Nikon Z 8 10 months 2 weeks ago #3459

• Craig Lakey
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Peter,

Jan Wegener has also released a settings video.

https://youtu.be/bB8zRWvQCKc

Best regards,
Craig
BirdLife Photography Communications Coordinator

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.