blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Drive to Western Australia 1 year 2 months ago #3360

• Simon Pelling
  • Simon Pelling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 261
I have the germ of an idea to do the drive to WA from the east (Canberra). I have family in Perth and it may be interesting to do the drive over as a once in a lifetime experience, stopping at interesting places such as the Eyre Bird Observatory. However, I am not sure if I could face having to drive both ways. I have heard that it might be possible to freight the car back. Has anyone ever tried this? Was it a good or bad experience? Any tips on the journey generally?

Either reply here or email me directly (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

Thanks
Simon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Drive to Western Australia 1 year 2 months ago #3361

• David Bromet
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Simon,

I have freighted a car back in 2016 using CEVA from Perth to Brisbane, as I understand they rail freight to Adelaide then by truck. Experience then was good and cost in 2018 about $1,600 to Brissie, I would expect Canberra to be cheaper.

But seriously, plan for a drive both ways, we are at Victor Harbour and expect to be back on Nullarbor in a week or two heading for Denmark WA. Plenty of camping and interesting bird sites. Caiguna blowhole is a good spot to pull up, it is a few meters of the highway. This will be our fifth or sixth trip either way and I never get bored with it.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Pelling

Drive to Western Australia 1 year 2 months ago #3364

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 205
Apologies if you've already thought of it but it's possible to take two different routes except for the common stretch across the Nullarbor between Norseman and Port Augusta. So you'd be able to see and do different things on the forward and return journeys for much of the trip. Time will be a factor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Pelling

Drive to Western Australia 1 year 2 months ago #3366

• Simon Pelling
  • Simon Pelling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 261
Thanks for responses so far. Feel free to impart any suggestions or advice about the trip. We have not really done any serious planning and I'm not sure it will even be this year (as we have another trip planned) but any suggestions welcome. Has anyone stayed at the roadhouses and what are they like?

Drive to Western Australia 1 year 2 months ago #3367

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 205
I've been across the Nullarbor a few times. Most recent trip was 2019 after the BLP Perth conference. We drove back via the Esperance route. Very scenic and some good spots for birds. Also stopped at the Eyre Bird Observatory. The roadhouses on the Nullarbor have quite basic facilities and I think they were fairly expensive. Many seem to have campgrounds and cabin accommodation. You'll only need one or two nights though unless you are planning a slow drive across the Nullarbor.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.