Username: Password: Remember me
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Most popular photo subjects

Most popular photo subjects 2 weeks 4 days ago #2299

• Glenn Pure
  • Glenn Pure's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 121
Just for fun, I look every now and then to see which are the most commonly uploaded bird species on our website. Here's the top 10 as of a few minutes ago:

1. Superb Fairy-wren (238 photos)
2. Australian Pelican (195 photos)
3. Pacific Black Duck (181 photos)
4. Osprey (174 photos)
5. White-faced Heron (171 photos)
6 (equal). Great Egret and Rainbow Bee-eater (161 photos)
7. New Holland Honeyeater (160 photos)
8. Greater Crested Tern (159 photos)
9. Galah (156 photos)
10. Brown Falcon (153 photos)

By the way, you can check this yourself. Go to 'Resources' on our website and select 'Taxonomy'. If you click on the arrows in 'Images' column it will sort from the largest to smallest and vice versa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson, Diana Vine

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Most popular photo subjects 2 weeks 4 days ago #2300

• Jill Wilson
  • Thank you received: 22
No real surprises here, though it's worth considering whether to upload any more of these species. The challenge is to capture something special to make my image stand out from the crowd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Pure

Most popular photo subjects 2 weeks 4 days ago #2301

• Simon Pelling
  • Thank you received: 79
Interesting question Jill - when do we have enough of a particular image? Would we ever turn off the tap on Superb Wrens? I remember right when I was a new member a few years ago there were a bunch of emails at the time asking us to consider carefully before we uploaded yet another Superb, for this reason.

A couple of things surprise me slightly in this list. Osprey is high. I understand these are relatively common in coastal areas by its not a bird I come across often at all (not common around Canberra!). Also the Galah is relatively low considering how common and widespread they are. And what happened to the everyone's perennial favourites according to backyard bird surveys, such as Rainbow Lorikeet and Australian Magpie? Have we just become bored with photographing the the familiar?

Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson

Most popular photo subjects 2 weeks 4 days ago #2302

• Jill Wilson
  • Thank you received: 22
I'm not proposing that BLP should turn the tap off - just that members might reflect on this issue.
Cheers
Jill

Most popular photo subjects 2 weeks 3 days ago #2304

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 71
Thanks for that, Jill. Particularly, thanks for letting people know how they can easily check statistics such as this. There's lots of information for those willing to explore, as you are doing.

Rob

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.