blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Most popular photo subjects 4 years 1 month ago #2299

• Glenn Pure
  • Glenn Pure's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 199
Just for fun, I look every now and then to see which are the most commonly uploaded bird species on our website. Here's the top 10 as of a few minutes ago:

1. Superb Fairy-wren (238 photos)
2. Australian Pelican (195 photos)
3. Pacific Black Duck (181 photos)
4. Osprey (174 photos)
5. White-faced Heron (171 photos)
6 (equal). Great Egret and Rainbow Bee-eater (161 photos)
7. New Holland Honeyeater (160 photos)
8. Greater Crested Tern (159 photos)
9. Galah (156 photos)
10. Brown Falcon (153 photos)

By the way, you can check this yourself. Go to 'Resources' on our website and select 'Taxonomy'. If you click on the arrows in 'Images' column it will sort from the largest to smallest and vice versa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson, Diana Vine, Rodney Appleby

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Most popular photo subjects 4 years 1 month ago #2300

• Jill Wilson
  • Thank you received: 27
No real surprises here, though it's worth considering whether to upload any more of these species. The challenge is to capture something special to make my image stand out from the crowd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Pure

Most popular photo subjects 4 years 1 month ago #2301

• Simon Pelling
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Interesting question Jill - when do we have enough of a particular image? Would we ever turn off the tap on Superb Wrens? I remember right when I was a new member a few years ago there were a bunch of emails at the time asking us to consider carefully before we uploaded yet another Superb, for this reason.

A couple of things surprise me slightly in this list. Osprey is high. I understand these are relatively common in coastal areas by its not a bird I come across often at all (not common around Canberra!). Also the Galah is relatively low considering how common and widespread they are. And what happened to the everyone's perennial favourites according to backyard bird surveys, such as Rainbow Lorikeet and Australian Magpie? Have we just become bored with photographing the the familiar?

Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson

Most popular photo subjects 4 years 1 month ago #2302

• Jill Wilson
  • Thank you received: 27
I'm not proposing that BLP should turn the tap off - just that members might reflect on this issue.
Cheers
Jill

Most popular photo subjects 4 years 1 month ago #2304

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Thanks for that, Jill. Particularly, thanks for letting people know how they can easily check statistics such as this. There's lots of information for those willing to explore, as you are doing.

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

Most popular photo subjects 4 years 1 month ago #2322

• David Seymour
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Apologies for being a bit late in on this thread, I plead guilty of not noticing it earlier. Anyway, just a couple of further thoughts. Like Jill I've also noticed from time to time some apparent concern about "too many images" of some of the more common and/or more popular species, but I personally don't share this concern for reasons I'll try and explain.

I think that any issue with this is related to the dual-purpose nature of the site: on the one hand it has a goal to assemble a comprehensive photographic reference database of all Australian bird species, and in this regard there may be some perceived disadvantage in having too many images of certain species; but on the other hand it also has an equally important role as a website dedicated to excellence in bird photography, and in this regard it shouldn't matter what species is the subject of the latest submission if it just so happens to be one of the best photographic images on the site. Because of this latter point, I don't think members should be overly discouraged from submitting new images of the most commonly uploaded species, or indeed be discouraged from photographing them. As Jill has suggested, set yourself the challenge of going out and getting the best-yet image of a Superb Fairy-wren or a PBD (both very photogenic birds) - but first look through the existing database to judge what you have to beat!

If for database reasons it ever came to a need to limit further expansion of image numbers of a particular species, I would be more in favour of culling some of the lower-quality existing images than limiting submission of new ones - thereby allowing for improvement of the database.

Cheers, David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kathy Zonnevylle

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.