blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Suggestion; combine advanced and intermediate and then have one mystery reviewer of that level 5 years 11 months ago #1714

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
I would like to support what Graham has written about the issues raised by Mark. I too have been aware that some changes are required to make our competitions better but, unfortunately, it takes time and to be fair to contestants, there is really only one chance per year to make major changes. I have quietly taken over the role of Competition Moderator from Rob and Graham and consequently have become aware of some of the discussions taking place on how we manage competitions in future. I am optimistic that by 2019 we will have a more refined process for matching contestants with the right level of competition and that this will see more members move up to Advanced and perhaps one of two move from Advanced to the Intermediate level.

Regarding my own situation, I take this opportunity to mention that as a competition moderator it would be improper for me to be a contestant and because I have access to names of competitors it would also be improper for me to vote on competition entries. This has not stopped me from taking a keen interest in the competitions and along with members of the Committee, I will be pleased to receive any feedback from members regarding our competitions.

Cheers, Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Lethlean, Andrew Browne, Glenn Pure, Bruce Terrill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Suggestion; combine advanced and intermediate and then have one mystery reviewer of that level 5 years 11 months ago #1715

• Glenn Pure
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 204

Graham Cam wrote: Hi Mark,

<snip>

Ideally, I would like to provide critiques for all entries but this is not possible. Club judges provide verbal critiques, which are quicker to provide to an audience rather than a written critique. I doubt that any of our MR's have the time to write critiques for all the competition entries and if this was possible, the 'fee for service' would be unsustainable for our meager budget.

I personally think it is a big 'ask', even if we paid MRs considerably more, to critique potentially hundreds of entries individually. A sample maybe, highlighting particular issues? Either way, my main purpose in responding is to remind members that we have a Critique Gallery where members can post images for feedback any time. We also have a forum where any technical or other questions can be raised. Images can be posted there too. I'd encourage you all to use these features as a stated goal of BLP is to educate on photography. We are a photography website and I think we should all work on continuous improvement of our work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Lethlean

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.