blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Transfer image from Neat Image back to Lightroom 5 years 8 months ago #1820

• Bruce Terrill
  • Bruce Terrill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hey Guys,
I know that a lot of you use Neat Image as do I. I have no problems transferring an image fro Lightroom into Neat Image and then no problems with results from either the Beginner or Advanced areas of Neat Image.
My problem is when I transfer the image back into Lightroom. When I have finished the final 'Sharpening' process I then click on 'Output Image', wait the few seconds for the filtration process and then move to and click on 'Save Output Image' on the tool bar and in the top right hand corner the setting says "Ready, Saved". After that I click the image closed with the cross in the top right hand corner and then the image reopens in Lightroom.
My problem is, if I then click on the image to magnify it, there's still heaps of noise present and when the image was in Neat Image, the screen was showing no noise what so ever and the image was nice and sharp with no artifacts or anything showing through. It seems as if when I close the image in Neat Image to transfer it back into Lightroom, it's not taking the filtration settings with it? I'm obviously doing something wrong in the closing/transfer process because after transferring the image back into Lightroom, I have to follow-up work in the detail panel and it usually makes the image softer and there's not much point in using the Neat Image software if I'm only going to stuff it up when I transfer it back.
Anyone using Neat Image that recognizes an obvious hole in my workflow?
Thanks for taking the time Guys. . .
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Transfer image from Neat Image back to Lightroom 5 years 7 months ago #1843

• Richard Smart
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Bruce,
My workflow is slightly different from yours. From Lightroom I edit a copy of the image in Photoshop, and run the Neat Image filter from within Photoshop. On exiting from Neat Image the filtered image appears in Photoshop and then is saved back to Lighroom as a TIF file. I haven't noticed the problems that you describe in the final image.
Regards
Richard
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Transfer image from Neat Image back to Lightroom 5 years 7 months ago #1844

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Richard,
Do you do this with every image that you develop or just te ones that you pick as your best?
Bruce

Transfer image from Neat Image back to Lightroom 5 years 7 months ago #1845

• David Newell
  • Thank you received: 11
Bruce,
I might be a bit off topic as I have not used neat image. However I find that applying sharpening in Lightroom is ok for most of the images I process - it does result in softening of the entire image. If I have an image worthy of the extra time and effort I will export from Lightroom into Photoshop, select the bird and then apply different sharpening/noise reduction to the bird and to the background, save the image as a PSD file which is visible in Lightroom. (Can't answer why I save as a psd versus tiff).

For the run of the mill images just processed in Lightroom I have saved several presets based on ISO. For ISO 500 and below I apply
Sharpening
- Amount 55
- Radius 0.8
- Detail 25 (Lightroom default)
- Masking 50
Noise Reduction
- Luminance 0
- Color 50
- Detail and Smoothness both 50 (Lightroom Defaults)
I have defined presets for ISO 800, 1000, 1250, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3200, 4000. As the ISO increases I decrease the sharpening and increase the Luminance and Color values. For example the values used for 1000, 1600, 2500, 4000 are:
Sharpening
- Amount: 55, 55, 45, 35
Noise Reduction
- Luminance: 35, 45, 55, 80
- Color: 55, 70, 85, 100

I developed these for the Canon 5D MkIII. I now have a Canon 5D MkIV and find that for a photo taken at ISO 2500, often the preset for 1250 will be the best one to use for removing the noise while reducing the amount of overall softening. The advantages of using the presets is that with a left click of the mouse you can quickly change the settings and compare the result.

All photos imported into Lightroom have the ISO 500 preset applied during import. I then select an appropriate ISO Preset for the image being processed in Lightroom.

Thanks for raising this issue Bruce as will now download Neat Image and see if it improves my workflow and time to process images which I think are worth the extra effort.
David

Transfer image from Neat Image back to Lightroom 5 years 7 months ago #1846

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Wow David,

Thanks for your detailed response, I really appreaciate the time that you've taken to write it all out, I'm more impressed with the work that you've done in working out all the settings.
I recently found out in the Neat Image manual that you can access a specific library set up by the NeatImage people that has profile settings for different makes/models of cameras that you can apply to you image as part of yor work flow. I'm in the process at the moment of reading and trying to learn how to apply the settings and believe that it will make my life a little simpler in the process. For everyday images i just transfer them into Neat Image and run them through the 'Beginner' workflow where it's all automated (nearly) and this usually sends them out clean a sa whistle. They also have an 'Advanced' setion that I'm trying to learn for the really good images, but the Beginner section does a stellar job.
BTW, I found out that my 'fault' was Pilot Error, and I hadn't loaded the software completely and that's why there were a couple of gremlins. It's working perfectly now.
Thanks again for putting in so mu effort into your reply,

Bruce
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Newell

Transfer image from Neat Image back to Lightroom 5 years 7 months ago #1858

• Richard Smart
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Bruce, I only use Neat Image for the better images. I use the Sharpening and Noise Reduction in Lightroom generally, but Neat Image is definitely a step ahead and worth the extra effort.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.